People ask people about to graduate college what they plan on doing with their major. It is almost never easy to answer “So, what are you going to do with that Global Studies degree?” But over the past few weeks, I have found a few solid answers that I keep returning to:
2. “I said it was Global Studies, not Global Do-Something.”
3. “Flee the country, not pay back student loans.”
4. “Become a millionaire.”
5. “Hold wild protests against the IMF, World Bank, United Nations, NATO, and the G20…because they won’t give me an entry-level job.”
6. “Apply for globe-trekking adventures that utilize my cross-cultural abilities.”
7. “Start a NGO that teaches practical job skills to those who don’t have any. Then take courses.”
Inspired by a NPU Global Studies alumna who told me King Kaleb of Axum was known as as “the one who brought about the morning” or “the one who collected tribute,” I’ve also considered walking around the streets with robe and crown demanding people to pay me a one-dollar tribute or else I’m going to refuse to bring about the sunrise for a whole week.
If you have any better ideas, here’s my resume.